Any way you knock it , this first person multi-player shooter is a stark contrast from the original.
To commemorate the original 1979 release of Asteroids, Atari launched Asteroids: Outpost into early access at a discounted price.
"Asteroids: Outpost is bringing a completely new premise to the world-renowned Asteroids arcade shooter by combining survival and crafting gameplay mechanics in a multiplayer intergalactic setting," said Fred Chesnais, Chief Executive Officer, Atari. "During the Early Access period, Asteroids: Outpost will build on the current gameplay while adding compelling new elements and expanding on the open world."
Key gameplay features available at the Early Access launch include:
"This is part of our new strategy. We are going to be teaming up with young and innovative studios to take a refreshing look at each game from our extensive portfolio," said Todd Shallbetter, Chief Operating Officer, Atari. "Releasing Asteroids: Outpost through the Early Access program will also help us get feedback from the community. Asteroids is the first of a long series of re-births, and we are considering doing the same for our other iconic games such as Warlords, Adventure, Tempest, Missile Command and many more."
- Tool & Weapon Crafting – Using tech and ore, gamers craft upgrades to their tools to create advanced weapons.
- Base-Building & Degradation – Serving as both a player's mining headquarters and home, bases are easily built in a square grid pattern by crafting and connecting modular pieces.
- Asteroid Showers – Recurring showers of smaller asteroids represent both a source of wealth and a deadly threat, as players must shoot down incoming projectiles to defend their claims and harvest components from the fallen rock.
- Resource Gathering – Mine the asteroid's surface or scavenge bases and crash sites to gather resources required to craft and upgrade materials.
- Terrain Exploration – Utilize in-game suits and vehicles to explore the lunar terrain and search complex landscapes featuring craters, boulders, cliffs and valleys, crystal formations, lava flows, gas plumes, and more.
- Attacking & Looting – Bases include resource refining equipment and storage areas that are susceptible to looting, meaning players not only need to protect the precious resources they've collected but they also have the opportunity to seek out and loot nearby bases.
If you wish to know more about Asteroids : Outpost you can check out the games official Facebook here.
What do you think of Asteroids: Outpost? Let us know in the comments below!